Don't they know there's a war on?


After some initial experiments in the art of blogging I’ve become an afficiondo. Within a week I was anchoring three separate blogsites and partial to a national media release plugging one of them. Blogging is like the invention of sliced bread for me. I can sit on my ownsome in my room without a view and project my sundry concerns into the never never world of cyberspace. What could be more transcendental?

BLOG BLOG to you all.

Such is my enthusiasm that my two children caught a dose of it and uploaded themselves in tandem. So the family that blogs together...is a family that has a computer and a service provider and a Mastercard...and is domiciled at some distance from those without running water and an indoor toilet.

Those kids of mine could have been a bunch of intertwining DNA that slipped out a long way off...into a ditch or something. Children can’t choose their parents but mine sure landed on their feet when they fruited from these Aussie loins. They don’t call this place the "lucky country" for nothing! We can ‘blog on!’ to our hearts’ content here in Australia. Those poor bastards irking out an existence on less than handy moolah --you know, the vast majority of this planet’s human beens -- wouldn’t know a blog if it fell on them.

To have such luck! ‘Tis living the life of Riley, we are!

I’m not the type to get all weepy eyed and ashamed for being better set up than some poor peasant from Upper Volta with a nasty case of intestinal worms and a daily caloric intake one half of my own. I’m not your guilt ridden type. I’ll leave such responses to the mawkish liberals. But I note the difference -- the huge difference in life style. And I hope they do too.

This brings me to the closing statement from Michael Moore’s documentary Fahrenheit 9/11:
"It does not matter if the war is not real, or when it is, victory is not possible.The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous, the essential act of modern warfare is the destruction of the produce of human labor. A hierarchal society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance. The war is waged by the ruling group against its subjects, and its object is not victory, but to keep the very structure of society in tact."
These words, lifted from George Orwell’s 1984, are a chilling reminder of what Gore Vidal has called "permanent war for permanent peace." For anyone with the inclination to confront the contradiction of me versus the Upper Voltarian -- there’s the answer. We all know that this society is obscenely unfair. We all know that to be true --even those who wallow in and condone that disparity. It then becomes a major question of what to do about it. A permanent state of warfare has always existed in one form or another over the fruits of human labour. A bloke called Karl Marx reckoned that "the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles." Today that struggle has taken a new form under the guise of a War on Terror, but the meaning remains the same: this war is meant to be continuous.

If you want to know how real it is, go ask my mate in Upper Volta or stop someone in the streets of Baghdad. They know there’s a war on and and they can’t recall when there wasn’t.
 

Channels