Wondering what's what...

I was wondering how useful this stuff would be. I rely on email a lot to do my thinking -- like putting the stuff out there and looking at it so I coudl sort out the bits and pieces the way I wanted. Much better than in the moment speech -- winging it as you go and making the best of the jumble of ideas that flit across your consciousness. Words when written words are a toiuych more useful than gabble gabble.
 
That aspect has always interested me. Leon Trotsky, the Russian revolutionist, once wrote that "we believe that in the beginning was the deed, the word followed as its phonetic shadow'". Well, thats' what I think too -- it's a great little statement that --about what makes the relationship of language and thought AND activity so important. I got a lot of my fascination on this topic from Lev Vygotsky  and I've kind of lived that existence ever since. I respect that connection almost on a dailly basis primarily because I have so many problems with the words and the memory of the words. I'm a part time aphasic and I have to so often trawl through my brain to get the noun I want , especially all those proper nouns you are supposed to know in any converstaion-- the Marys, Johns and the like. When you can't get them, you ab lib and alight on substitutes like some chronic alcoholic who cannot remember what he had for breakfast but will 'confabulate' (great word that ) and boldly assert it was two eggs and bacon with black coffee.  Sure it was...
 
As my partners' mother used to tell her to when she was growing up: "i believe you but thousands wouldn't..."
 
But words, their means and the way we string them together won;t determine reality for us. I think that's important. There are too many cracks between the sentences and too may gaps in the spaces. Thats' not method acting there and emotion subtext, folks -- it's the real world making its mark.
 
 
 
 
 
 


Channels