Freedom to contract

NEWS ITEM: “A new Independent Contractors Act would ensure that freedom of contract for independent contractors is enshrined and preserved, that they have a firewall around them to protect them from the deprivation of unions and unfriendly Labor governments who would seek to impose limits and constraints on their freedom to contract”. John Howard,Liberal Party campaign launch in Brisbane, September 26.

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it...
--You’re like anyone else.
But an ‘independent contractor.’ That speaks to me heaps. I could be somebody. I work my guts out and and whadda I get? A one-way ticket to Palookaville
--You saw some money.
But I want more. I’d work hard. I’d earn my dough. I’d could be an…entrez-manure – a made man.
---Made into what?
I could set my own hours.
--Perhaps.
Be my own boss.
--Well sign up, why don’t you? Suck it and see.
I will.
--See if I care.
Fine
--But don’t come running back to me whinging when you’re forking out your hard earned money for your own super, insurance and whatnot. That’s 'entrezmanureship' for you. You can kiss your union protected sweet arse good by.
But you’ll look out for me? You’re still my mate, ain’t ya? If I run into a snag, you’ll stand by me, won’t cha?
--Sorry. Not allowed. Sign, and you’re on your own.
Shit.
--As Johann Wolfgang von Goethe once wrote: “None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.” Goethe knew a thing or two about contracts,you know, especially ones signed with the devil.

Channels