I shall not let my tea go cold

I'm wondering how long is thought appropriate to mourn this recent election result? It's been all of six days now and I've become quite irritated with all the observances. At times like these everyone is a coroner and the pompous prattling is wearing to the brain.
Summation of discourse: the patient died of natural causes assisted by self inflicted wounds. There were no suspicious circumstances.
We need closure. Let us all get on with our lives...
I am reminded for some reason of a poem by Bertolt Brecht, Of Poor BB , in which he writes:
In the earthquakes to come, I very much hope
I shall keep my cigar alight, embittered or no
For the life of me I cannot read into this a direct relevance to the present time. I don't even smoke. But I wrote here a few days back: I shall not let my tea go cold... and I was consciously mirroring Brecht's notion.
I shall not. My tea. Neglect.
I shall not. My tea. Neglect.
Some slogan, eh? It's like that kicker the Christians throw in to end their prayers: Amen!
...And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from evil. I shall not let my tea go cold.
...Holy Mary, mother of God,pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. I shall not let my tea go cold.
It's kind of affirming, isn't it? Upbeat. Much better than this "so-be-it" thing the Amen stands for. Embittered or no,I shall not let my tea go cold.
Let's leave aside the caffeine conundrum that so many now are coffee drinkers. And let's not consider the fact that Coffea arabica is brewed at a much lower temperature than Camellia sinensis. These are but physical properties than won't destroy my beverage metaphor.
NEWS REPORT: Today it was confirmed that the Coalition have won control of the Senate.
ME/YOU: I shall not let my tea go cold.
NEWS: The new government is considering a major review of industrial legislation and the full sale of Telstra
ME/YOU: I shall not let my tea go cold.
It's got verve don't you think?

Channels