Leftward ho!

There are any number of explanations for the event of October 9. Pardon me if I choose not to go into them as I’m playing mum on that question. But one element festers which I need to deal with before I get on with my life—such as it is. This is federal MP Con Sciacca’s insistence that Latham Labor erred too far to the left.

Sciacca has just lost his Labor seat and before he takes up his handsome parliamentary pension, he leaves politics with these well chosen words of warning. Similarly, Gerard Henderson – the conservative commentator who babbles from under a Murdoch logo – has denigrated the Greens for being…you guessed it! too far to the left. Labor would have won --says Sciacca -- and the Greens would have done much better -–says Henderson -- if only they hadn’t pandered so much to the left.

Both these busybodies, as you’d expect, are of the rightward drift; but they are expressing a spurious hindsight which is trying to assert itself as political fact: ergo, the Australian people are a bunch of conservatives and are only getting the governance they deserve.

I don’t read it that way at all as I tend to take all the good people with whom I co-exist within the four walls of Australia as I find them. While I do not personally know all 20,200,957 of them, I can vouch for the fact that they are a very mixed bunch indeed.

Of those whom I know personally – 3,951 of the 20,200,957 – only 11 are, what I’d call, signed up conservatives. Six aren't noted for anything either way. Two are far too polite to disagree with me. Three have lost most of their marbles, and, of the other 17 non starters, all but two are too young to know the difference. The rest are middling to far left. But that’s me. That’s my circle. Since I inhabit the farther end of this political spectrum and am one of the few with a signed political certificate nailed to their wall, maybe my views are jaundiced. Indeed, if I wanted to be arrogant about this I could insist that any one to the right of me is conservative! But I'm not that kind of person.

So this POV is very much dependent upon your location. While Sciacca and Henderson may be situated thus ………………… ……………………………… …………….…................... ................................................. I’m located way over here.

And in between is the great bulk of the Australian people.

Channels