A secular epiphany

The particular advantage of a watershed event like an election -- such as the one we just had --is that it becomes a marker. It separates the before and afters. For me, the 1969 election held at the time of the Vietnam War determined my future political trajectory absolutely. After Labor lost with a troop withdrawal pledge, I said stuff this! and straightaway resigned from the Army Reserve and joined the Communist Party.
I guess I can be a bit impulsive at times. But it was cathartic. The light bulb went on in my brain and I had a secular epipthany. It was an A-ha moment.
Of course there was hell to play with family and friends. People aren't supposed to move so quickly hither or yon --especially yon. It seemed rabid. But that's the way my brain works.
Over the years since, when I watch David Willaimson's play/film Don's Party, set on the evening of polling day, I nod my head and understand. I wasn't the only one who got worked over by the 1969 result. But hey! Williamson's now a renowned playwright and I'm suburban literary dilettante.
So we add on 35 years and here we are. I won't bother filling in the blanks. Let's just say that you get out of elections what you put into them and from that date on I ceased to be passive.

Channels