Sisyphus

I'm trying ever so hard to drag my decrepit body back into use. It ain't easy being me! I have done the crawl back thing before so I must have garnered some expertise through dint of some serious practice.

It has even impacted on my character--this tooing and froing from bad to feeling tickity boo on the odd and seeming rare occasion. That's me in the photo being tickity boo. If I wasn't I'd be supine. My guess is that life's like that anyway, full of ups and downs. It is the Sisyphus thing.

Noun: Sisyphus: sisufus
(Greek legend) a king in ancient Greece who offended Zeus and whose punishment was to roll a huge boulder to the top of a steep hill; each time the boulder neared the top it rolled back down and Sisyphus was forced to start again

I bet that rings a few bells. The workaday week. Paying the bills. Washing up the dishes. Making the bed...all Sisyphus sentences.

While I no doubt think this will cause the more pensive among us to wonder that life is indeed "nasty, brutish and short" I want to draw your attention away from Thomas Hobbes (who coined the phrase afore cited) to Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel .

I wouldn't wish reading Hegel on anyone -- but go there if you must. No, I want to summarise Hegel in a beautiful phrase. Hegel realised that we are all sentenced to history. You can be as peppy as you like but you are still caught up in the continuum of events occurring in succession leading from the past to the present and even into the future. That's history for your. It's a real big mean bastard that takes no prisoners. History judges. History rules. History outlives us all.

When you give yourself up to history --something which I , by the way, recommend-- your own pilfling problems shrink somewhat. "So you have a sore toe and the cat died! Your spouse left you! You got retrenched!....Don't worry. Be happy. History transcends all such trifles."

In every life we have some trouble
But when you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now

But when you have a look at it, trouble often has a maker. If you want to blame Zeus, be my guest. But let's say that Zeus didn't have a hand in your afflications - nor some other god/trinty/supreme being/un-caused cause...that really, when you get down to tin tacks it was history all along --and what's more a history formated by bods just like you.

So if we can make history like this --collectively and pig ignorantly --whats' stopping us doing it with some design in mind?

Suck on that, Sisyphus!

Channels