My Monday Wash

My Monday should be like any one else’s. It should be the beginning of my working week -- not that I’m so gainfully employed that I know what to expect in the way of ‘work’. I am, what is usually referred to as, ‘self employed’. I make up my own daily grind by grinding as best I can from home.
Well, me and the dogs do anyway. We’re domesticated.
I’m so sedentary and often so house bound that I never know how I’m going to wake up and what I’ll be up to. So making plans is really an indulgence. I like to refer to it as having "hopes". I’d kill for a honest to god routine. So I have various attainment goals I can aspire to. Rising from my bed into an upright position may be the base minimum and who knows how far I can proceed once I get going.
This brings me back to the topic of My Monday Wash. Mondays are going to be my spill day when one week spills over into the next, and I’ll blog Mondays as wash days.
So this week, folks, I’ll be working hard -- well I’ll be doing my bestest to blog daily on thoughts political with a ‘mordant’ edge.


mor·dant (môr'dnt) adj.
Bitingly sarcastic: mordant satire.
Incisive and trenchant:
an inquisitor's mordant questioning.
Bitingly painful.
Serving to fix colors in dyeing.
n.
A reagent, such as tannic acid, that fixes dyes to cells, tissues, or textiles or other materials.
A corrosive substance, such as an acid, used in etching.
[French, from Old French, present participle of mordre, to bite, from Vulgar Latin *mordere, from Latin mordēre.]
mor'dan·cy n.
mor'dant·ly adv.

And it aint easy being "incisive and trenchant" or "corrosive" seven days per week. But that’s the modus operandi I’m after: mordancy. I am set on becoming the Morning Mordant (once I get going in the AM, of course).
This week on Life of Riley Blog you can 'hope' for(poor fools that you are):
  • daily blogs before midnight Australian Eastern Standard Time
  • a bit of Ratbag Radio. Program details will be published here. You’ll be able to hear the broadcast by going to the Ratbag Radio Blog --so audio will be on ‘click’ away.

It has become obvious that producing audio will be a process of conceiving and developing a format then recording same many days, even a week, in advance. It won’t be the ABC but I’m sure you expect some broadcasting standards.
So come back often as you will to check out your options.

RILEY comments:When I was growing up in Highett I was often accused of being 'facetious' which confused me no end, 'cause I didn't know what it meant. Now there's a word you don't hear much from nowaday.

fa·ce·tious adj.
Playfully jocular; humorous:
facetious remarks.
Other sources ally 'facetious' to sarcastic (you know, the lowest form of wit)

[French facétieux, from facétie, jest, from Latin facētia, from facētus, witty.]
fa·ce'tious·ly adv.
fa·ce'tious·ness
n.

I guess it's all a matter of tone. One person's facetiousness is another's failed attempt to appear clever. But as genres go facetiousness is a hard road to travel. Better to stick to mordancy. I learnt that way back then, growing up in Highett.

Later I stuck with 'satire' and ran a web page complex dedicated to it -- The Satire Workshop.

"Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--Johathan Swift
Talk about following a passe occupation. I kept getting emails from anxious essayists asking me questions about dead poets -- I mean long dead poets -- and the eating habits of ancient Roman bisexuals.

So mordant is a safe bet: mordant view of the political process. Its' a free hand to waffle on while I fix my colour.

Channels