Podcasting & web audio: some notes

Because I am so often trapped indoors -- "housebound" is an OK euphemism -- the prospect of talking to the world is an appealing one. What better way to shout out your wares --such as they are -- than through your own broadcasts from your own home based DIY broadcast studio?

Because I come from a dramatic background the written word never seems adequate to improvising a sentence. Better to call it out as it comes to you.

Because I am of my ilk I spent some years growing up BT -- before television -- in those far off Ray_deo_Days. Before video killed the radio star stimulants were different Oh-a-aho oh, Oh-a-aho oh... they were very auditory and ever so hot¹. Ye..ah! And...some like it hot!²

Because I miss the voices I want to bring them back. I was bought up on The Goons and the radio serial. The cabaret grotesque appeals to me, especially monologues. While Barry Humphries created many characters in this mode the only experiment in this form on radio here that I know of were the Fred Dagg tapes created by John Clarke during the 1970s.

Because broadcasting is such a dense medium you can make a point much more sharply and unequivocally than in some other form. So why beat around the bush?

HAMLET: Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue. But if you mouth it, as many of our players do, I had as lief the town crier spoke my lines. Nor do not saw the air too much with your hand, thus, by use all gently, for in the very torrent, tempest, and (as I may say) whirlwind of your passion, you must acquire and beget a temperance that may give it smoothness.


In my experience two broadcasters stand out in this regard: Studs Terkel and Jim Hightower. If you don’t know their work, check ‘em out.

Because web sourced audio is developing so quickly, the potential of this digital medium is exciting. Podcasting -- little more than a year ‘old’ -- is a great example of how trends quickly develop and are embraced.


¹
hot: thanks to Marshall McLuhan’s say so, radio is a fully certified ‘hot’ medium. A hot medium is "high definition ... the state of being well-filled with data."-A cool medium is "low definition" and "has to be filled in [or completed] by the listener."
² some like it hot: Marilyn Monroe to a cross-dressed Tony Curtis in Billy Wilder’s film of the same name.


Canadian radio program on Marshall McLuhan
Listen: Streaming Audio


Channels