My Monday wash

With the major festivities over -- ho ho hum -- one can address other stuff. Given that we are counting down to the new year what better to consider than what to do next in way of some key tasks and perspectives.
I nonetheless have to introduce a major caveat -- despite my excellent capacity to be resolute, I suffer from poor health. This, I assure you, is a bugger. No sooner am I achieving things as intended than I am, the next moment , crippled by incapacity. This has a nasty habit of reducing one’s momentum and skewing one’s path.

I always suffer from this proviso: can do/will do... but to the best of my -- variable -- ability.

That's said, in way of introduction, I will begin the main body of my discourse.
Actually I maintain a separate blog dedicated to my very best intentions and handy DIY tips. But in this instance, in this particular Life of Riley "Dear Reader" case -- I will have to speak in general terms. So I will be drafting my 2006 What Is To Be Done list in sketchy outline and only as they effect you -- the occasional blog visitor or audio listener.

My general intention is to write early and write often. That’s the universal theme: getting disciplined / empowering with intent. But I plan to shift more toward a keener audio and podcast mode.

I have to up my skills a touch to do this but I hope to be talking more and writing less. The LOR formula will remain -- a blog with occasional audio which is also accessible as a podcast -- but I will be experimenting more with Ratbag Radio as my primary podcast activity. Podcasting is so novel -- we are talking about a phenomenon less than two years old -- that I am keen to get in early and trail blaze. In comparison, folks, blogs are a dime a dozen.
TERRY:...So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.
CHARLIE: Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.
TERRY: You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. [On The Waterfront]

As far as I can calculate, my first podcast was broadcast on September 12th this year. It wasn’t much of a podcast as I was still experimenting with the potential of live to web clipstream via the Pirate Radio network. I doubt I understood what a podcast was as it wasn’t until two days later that I downloaded my first podcatcher software -- iPodder (now Juice)
In the intervening period I’ve got religion and am now a dedicated podcaster and listener. In reality I’ve been experimenting with the technology and the formats these last four months as I negotiate a sharp learning curve. Such that next year, the two thousandth and sixth year of our lord, will be the year of the podcast.
But I’ve been bugged by the problem of deciding on a format. If I speak the speech, what do I talk about and how do I say it? I want to do this and I want to do that...such that I don’t really want to do onespecial thing at all but am caught between quite a few possibilities. I envy those people who decide on a singular recipe and stay within its confines. (I can’t even cook like that! Let alone broadcast that way!) I’m too ratty for that, too discursive. But I was listening to Madge Weinstein pontificate on what she does with Yeast Radio and her’s was the answer I wanted to hear: Do It! Do whatever takes your fancy.

Precious words indeed!

Neither one thing nor another.

So I turn toward the rising sun of 2006 with an ‘anyhow’ mission in mind. Gone will be the twee categories that seem to inhabit my mind and cramp my style. But, I will proceed thus(... with Hamlet’s sound advice in mind.*) and thus proceeding do fortell that in 2006 you will be offered many opportunities to Listen Up!

*HAMLET: Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue. But if you mouth it, as many of our players do, I had as lief the town crier spoke my lines. Nor do not saw the air too much with your hand, thus, by use all gently, for in the very torrent, tempest, and (as I may say) whirlwind of your passion, you must acquire and beget a temperance that may give it smoothness. O, it offends me to the soul to hear a robustious periwig-pated fellow tear a passion to tatters, to very rags, to split the ears of the groundlings, who for the most part are capable of nothing but inexplicable dumb shows and noise. I would have such a fellow whipped for o'erdoing Termagant. It out-herods Herod. Pray you avoid it. Be not too tame neither, but let your own discretion be your tutor. Suit the action to the word, the word to the action, with this special observance, that you o'erstep not the modesty of nature. For anything so overdone is from the purpose of playing, whose end, both at the first and now, was and is, to hold, as 'twere, the mirror up to nature, to show virtue her own feature, scorn her own image, and the very age and body of the time his form and pressure. Now this overdone, or come tardy off, though it make the unskillful laugh, cannot but make the judicious grieve, the censure of the which one must in your allowance o'erweigh a whole theatre of others. O, there be players that I have seen play, and heard others praise, and that highly (not to speak profanely), that neither having th' accent of Christians, nor the gait of Christian, pagan, nor man, have so strutted and bellowed that I have thought some of Nature's journeymen had made men, and not made them well, they imitated humanity so abominably. Reform it altogether! And let those that play your clowns speak no more than is set down for them, for there be of them that will themselves laugh, to set on some quantity of barren spectators to laugh too, though in the mean time some necessary question of the play be then to be considered. That's villainous and shows a most pitiful ambition in the fool that uses it. Go make you ready.


Channels