So it goes...

Catch phrases are handy homilies, aint they? They may not be dense in way of meaning but they can work the magic nonetheless. Take “So it goes...”
''When a Tralfamadorian sees a corpse, all he thinks is that the dead person is in a bad condition in that particular moment, but that same person is just fine in plenty of other moments. Now, when I myself hear that somebody is dead, I simply shrug and say what the Tralfamadorians say about dead people, which is 'So it goes'.'' [Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut]
Of course the way Vonnegut weaves this reprise into the novel makes the phrase very ironic in a mordant sort of way. But other catch phrases don’t seem to register so cleanly. They’re like call signs or registration codes.

Take Mr Punch -- he of Punch and Judy fame -- a figure with whom I have a significant acquaintance -- as in ‘significant other’,(as Punch is my, dare I say it, closely correlated other). Anyway, Punch has been culturally afflicted, not only with speaking all his words stridently through a swazzle but in such a crude version of English that his actions were always supposed to speak louder than his attempts at words. Of these the most respected catchphrase handed down from Punch prof to Punch prof is “That’s the way to do it!”

“Thats’ the way to do it!” hardly makes a micron of sense unless you understand that by “doing it” Punch means hurling BABY into the audience or killing the POLICE MAN or biffing CROCODILE. That is, doing damage to the local social order by means of an indulgent anarchic carnival of destruction.

So it goes ...
“That’s the way to do it!” [FX: SMASH! BIFF! BANG!]
(Children squeal with delight...and they do!)

My quest hereafter is to live my life by catchphases or catchwords just like Mr Punch. But I’d like to do this by combining these two aforementioned catchphrases thus:
So it goes... + Thats’ the way to do it!
with the absolute sentence of material existence:
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
I guess this enables me to eat a pudding a certain way so it’s “that way” (probably with much explosive vigour and gobbling) then after its all consumed muse, “ So it goes...” Then maybe belch.

Pudding > eat pudding ( a certain way) > pudding proves itself: Yum! (satiation). > say/think: ”So it goes... > “Burp!”
(And talking of catchphrases): Here’s another to end with (after all the eating & the burping)”That’s life!”

And so it is/So it goes...yakkity yak.

Those Tralfamadorians knew the score.

"my love of clarity comes from the unclear way i think. i became a little doctrinaire because i was in pressing need of instruction. my thoughts readily become confused, and i don't at all mind saying so. it's the confusion that i mind. when i discover something, i immediately contradict it passionately and to my dismay call everything into question again, when a moment before i had been happy as a sandboy, because at least something had, in some measure, been established for my, as i told myself, modest requirements. such statements as that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, or life is a protein condition, console me. uncommonly, until i run into further inconveniences. and scenes that take place between people i write down simply because i can't imagine them clearly until i do." --Bertolt Brecht

Channels