Making web pages work

As you may have discovered from my occasional posts on the topic I've been going on about exploiting what the Web 2.0 option can offer greenly left politics.

Since I've been a keen blogger I am familiar with a lot of blog technology --such as much as my mind can fathom. But the main thing is to tweak how the power of RSS can be harnassed to deliver fresh content rather than relying on the complicated approach for updating web pages
by uploading a series of single files through things like an FTP program. [If you don't know what these terms mean, don't worry -- the main thing is the end result on the page]

So I am working on a mock template design here:

with the intention of exploring a few possibilities. I've just thrown a lot of odds and sods at the page -- RSS feeds, graphics and various blog posts generated by a few means--and it's all very messy. I was keen to create a home page news aggregator & template that could be customised to suit activists in any centre--sort of like your own personal -- or your own group -- Indymedia.

The whole thing is a bit eclectic for the moment but some of the notions are slowly embedding themselves as I fiddle with it.

I wanted to answer the question: what sort of web page would a greenly left activist prefer to have as their home or main reference page? I also wanted to make it as easy as I could to update and maintain.

So I started with a three column Blogger template from here -- which you can publish for free on Blogger. I then converted a lot of RSS feeds into(HTML) lists through a Feedburner account --also free -- and I embedded these feeds in the side columns as text/news items which are constantly being updated. What that means is that any RSS(or atom) feed can be converted into readable text to embed on a web page..

But the very best feature of this setup is the attribute offered by Blogger which enables people to update these pages by sending an email to them via the blog's email address. What that means is that when you email out to a list of subscribers--such as on any Yahoo groups forum
-- to announce your simply wonderful event, you can also post to a blog (in full HTML and with graphics if you like).

Where I'm stuck for the moment is on the question of deciding on what sort of calendar to use(& how to link to and embed it) and the best tool to pull an email list together from those who want to subscribe to an update service.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. Send such notions to me or you can leave your comments on the page itself.

Channels