More thoughts on Hipster PDA

Hipster PDA - 43FoldersWiki

I will break my promise and offer you a definition:The Hipster PDA (Parietal Disgorgement Aid) is a fully extensible system for coordinating incoming and outgoing data for any aspect of your life and work. It scales brilliantly, degrades gracefully, supports optional categories and “beaming,” and is configurable to an unlimited number of options. Best of all, the Hipster PDA fits into your hip pocket and costs practically nothing to purchase and maintain. -Merlin Mann - Original post: "Introducing the Hipster PDA"

Some may fashion up with their iPod and their Bling, but given my income, I'm settling on the DIY attributes of a Hipster PDA. For your crash course in PDAing go here -- nothing has value nowadays unless it can boast its own wiki, you see. I guess I'm easily impressed.>>

So today I purchased a pack of 3"x 5" cards and a packet of clips. I then cut some old binder plastic off some old notebooks to act as top and bottom 'covers' for the cards and Voila! I have myself a WITBD Hipster PDA. What could be simpler? I have it in my hot little hand now.

And after expounding to my partner the delights of the Hipster PDA I converted her to it so I made a Hipster PDA for her too so she can finish her Phd sometime this century.

Now that I've got my hardware I can go here to learn how to use it or here for a more concise summary in the DIY dept.

Perhaps you are thinking, "what the...! What is he on about?" Well, since you asked: I suffer from fibromyalgia which addles my body and brain. I've learnt as a consequence to rely on any tool that can format my existence. Computers are extremely useful in that regard because the business of typing text and whatever you find to do on a pc can cause you to be more structured and self corrective. (Please note my spelling skills in this regard --a penchant for misspelt words that I apologise for.)

Unfortunately this year has been horrendous in way of the old bod being buoyant and I'm craving to get back some semblance of control if not over my symptoms, at least over the way I use my time so that I can be as productive as I can be. You can waste a lot of time just "being ill" you know -- when maybe sometimes you can "be ill" and still be productive. So having lost control I'm clawing my way back by any means necessary -- and GTDing and Hipster PDAing are in like mode to the methods I've employed in the past: making to-do lists, recording my activity on time sheets by employing digital clocks on my desktop, allocating units of time to various tasks, establishing a routine without living to a schedule(tricky one that one), etc As an aficionado of such management approaches I don't think I've found a time when task mastering wasn't worth the effort it even if I'm my own servant.

So with all my symptoms -- muscular stiffness and pain, aphasia, dyslexia, memory lapses, woolly headedness, confusion, fatigue, etc -- and from the very pits of disarray and mental chaos I'll be back, maybe not on top, but neither so much the victim. So hand me some 3 x 5 cards, a paper clip and a pen and I know I can do wonders.

That's the plan anyway.

Filed in: ,

Channels