Freedom is the recognition of efficiency

I'm glad that I'm not obsessive. I am not.I'm not obsessive --I'm passionate.But there's a few out there that are such that when you come to projects like the Hipster PDA -- there are a few geeks (I mean real geeks not wankers like me) who religiously apply themselves to such low tech devices as much as they do to anything high tech. If you think I've got issues!check out this very short list of topic related sites: >>

However, I know a good thing when I see it and I think that technology -- either high or low -- is all about tool use and I'm a great one for tool use.

I think it is a magnificent quest to try to organize your life. I think it is good that we should try to format our existence with stuff. Going without may seem organic but is it efficient?

So I love this PDA shit, love it! --and thats' because it makes sense to me and catches my attention at the level I'm at. AND I loves me Wallnote.
The designer of which sent me a very nice email a couple of days back...

And I love blog editors and I'm real glad that I'm back using Performancing. So while I may not now die happy, I'll at least die efficient. Thats' my legacy: he tried to be efficient in his activities of daily life.

Thats' me.

I need the structure, the discipline, because my penchant for ill health only imposes disorderly conduct unbecoming-- forsooth: victimhood.

So we can assume that after a very rough year physically, I'm moving toward a codec of control, structure and efficiency that augurs well for the new year.

But en route, it's been fun hasn't it? What with the podcasting and the blogging there's been a lot of the envelope that's been advanced. I've upped the ante and boldly gone where no man,
at least I aint anyway, have gone before.

But the logic of control, of structure, of formatting your stuff -- is an theme that has descended upon me big time this week.

My whole political existence is structured by theory, historical lesson learning, and experience -- and I act out my activism within a environment that may seem without structure, spontaneous and fickle. So why should we think that the science & logic you seek to apply to the social universe shouldn't be relevant to the everyday and the mundane? Whatever we may think about work -- wage slavery -- it at least offers structure, because ,as I think even St Peter said, "AS a fish is born to swim so too is a man (or woman, Pete) to work."

Back in the seventies we so often considered the question of "automation" such that it became a Chaplinesque Modern Times buzz word; and we referred to this automation of production as the harbinger of a new age of leisure. So there were all these fast tracked campaigns for the reduced working week with the success by 1981 in the metal industry (where I was then working) of an industry wide 38 hour working week standard .

Imagine that! Thirty eight hours and we were deadset keen to push for thirty five!

Now, Australian workers work the longest working week in all of the OECD countries. As the ABS informs us:
Among full-time workers, both men and women increased their average working hours between 1984 and 1994. In 1984 full-time employed men worked an average of 41.6 hours a week, while women worked an average of 38.1 hours. In 1994 the averages were 44.5 and 39.6 hours respectively.
The massive amount of casual and part time work obscures the configuration a bit in way of comprehending the actual dynamic in play. And these trenbds are 12 years ago--what about today? But now under Howard's Work Choices not only is the work week open slather for extension -- but days off and holidays can be "negotiated" away under any number of individual contracts.

The point I want to make is this: the capacity for efficiencies wherein you can achieve the same, or even more, with less effort and time expended is something to yearn for so long as you can control the process -- be in the driver's seat as it were. That's the charm and appeal of productivity --and the satisfaction. But if it's out of your hands -- and you are operating at the behest of some other -- whether it be the boss or chronic ill health -- then you are sure to be screwed.

As I pointed out a day back: freedom is the recognition of necessity. And in my case the necessity is to be fruitful by being organized efficiently -- such that my freedom is, in part, the recognition of efficiency.


Filed in: ,

Channels