Singing SONGBIRD's praises

Songbird is a desktop Web player, a digital jukebox and Web browser mashed-up together. As a keen podcast listener interacting with the web in audio format is a habit satiated by a few podcatchers I've tried. I like my tools straight and to the point so I am now back relying on Juice.

So don't let anyone try to tell you that you have to employ anything else. Experiment but remember what it's all about. It's not about iTunes, right? Not never. >>


My daughter partakes of the music on the web with Limewire but if you want to do much more than just grab audio --and actually inter act with the sources that create it then check out Songbird. While Songbird is still "in development " its a very appealing and useful package that can take you to a lot of places on the web: MPEG Audio (mpga), MPEG Layer 3 (mp3), MP4 Audio (mp4a), Ogg Vorbis, Speex, AAC, WMA, FLAC, and less important: LPCM, ADPCM, AMR...as I write this I'm listening to some cajun music on ShoutCast.


AND for those who partake of podcasts Songbird has a lot to offer. Podcasts are basically about subscribing to audio (or video) content --and really after a time you soon realise that you can over subscribe or reach your limit so you yanker for some freedom to sample and taste without actually being locked into a subscription.


That's where Songbird kicks in for me I can tour the media on the web and mark/bookmark what takes my fancy as I go and come back later to listen and/or download.AND IT's NOT iTunes! But it does offer a subscription option -- not quite like a podcatcher but interactive enough for any fickle listeners.

There's an interview here with the Songbird developers which will give you some more tech info. But as one review has said:
Once it has assessed a site, you can then instruct it to monitor for any new files added and automatically download them. Think of it as a combined audio player and podcasting manager, only you don’t necessarily need to download a file to play it -SlashGear


It's that promise, that excites me a lot.

Channels