My Macawber mind maps.

I love the Hipster PDA because it's an ongoing joke.It's neither digital nor anything hi tech -- just a nifty way to carry around a note book. I guess I should call it my Mr Macawber --my Mr. Wilkins Macawber -- after the David Copperfield character who always insisted,"Once heard,my dear Copperfield, take of note of." But to the HPDA-- wouldn't you know it! -- there's more! >>

Click image to enlarge view.

I have introduced two new features to my setup which I have tweaked to suit my burgeoning dependence on the PDA.
  1. The Hipster PDA No Sweat sleeve. Being a plastic pocket the size of a bank savings account book. Since I prefer to transport my Macawber in my breast pocket but summer humidity souses it and my 3" X 5" cards fray and stick together. So this is a pouch for a pocket.(Pictured at the right in the image above.)
  2. Mind Mapping Hardware: (I prefer the term 'idea mapping' but...) When I constructed my Macawber it began life as a series of white blank index cards. Then I worked out how to produce 3 X 5"cards with feint horizontal lines by cutting 127X203 mm ruled cards to size. (I also purchased 1500 green 127 X 203cards obscenely cheap from Office Works.) But I was stuck with a goodly batch of white blank cards which I mainly used to separate the episodes of green. Since I've gone gah gah over mind mapping I find these blank canvases ideal for creating idea maps. And with this new stationery category of gel pens, I now own a few colours to help me map my terrain (see idea map pictured left above --please click on image to get a more instructive view). While I have complained here that FreeMind (the free mind mapping software I use) is too broad for the printed A4 page, these 3" x 5" cards require cartographic miniatures. Nonetheless, the interface formatted by my Macawber -- between the the notes and the maps means I can merge the two visually and cognitively.So rather than simply listing an eclectic mix of to-dos, I can know foster a dynamic of how the list will actually get done.
W.C Fields as Mr Macawber

Channels