The blogisode - blog fiction

For some time I have been crippled by an inability to concentrate while attempting to read. Given my penchant for fibrofog this isn't unusual . But such a long break of not being able to studiously read has proven a handicap. I thought that my enthusiasm for listening to audio (and podcasts) had turned my brain absolutely into aural mode and my days of reading literature had passed. (instead of reading for so many hours I waslistening for so many hours...)
But thanks to a recent spirited diet of Walter Moseley I am now back in the literate world. (Thanks Walter!)

But now that I'm back -- got my brain back -- my brain at least -- maybe I can entertain other ventures.

And so I have come in my own good time to the option of Blog Fiction (aka: serial fiction blogging ). There may be a couple of ways to explain this -- the long way and the short way. But if you are keen for the long route - watch this video or go sample some fictions.

If not stick with my words here... and I'm telling you that I have had in mind a project I refer to as "a dialogue novel" which I imagine as a play that is read rather than a play that is performed. However because I can record myself reading it --and doing voices -- it can be an audio "book" too. So we're talking multi media.

What appeals to me the most is that I need only publish it once per week. So if I can pull myself out of this mundane and unscheduled hole I am in -- time wise & temperament wise -- by obtaining a couple a bookends for each week -- one for each end.

What could be simpler? Blogging is easy... I can do it with one hand tied behind my back. Any day. Every day. Any hour. And I blog hither and yon. But what gets my fancy going about this option isn't so much the blogs I read but the writers I admire -- especially Thomas Love Peacock (pictured) -- friend of Percy Bysshs Shelley and co-worker at the British East India Company to John Stuart Mill.

You see, Peacock wrote dialogue novels. That was his genre. And he wrote them rather crudely compared to such contemporaries as Jane Austen. They were indeed novels with dialogue as that's the way they were in part written -- they were playwritten. I tend to compare it to the way radio broadcasts are written -- such as a segment on ABC news radio like The World Today:
Washington Correspondent Kim Landers has been speaking to two US soldiers who have returned from Iraq.
(Sound of bombs exploding)
KIM LANDERS: It's almost four years since bombs rained down on Baghdad as the Iraq War began.
(Sound of bombs exploding)
BILL FERGUSON: My name is Bill Ferguson, I'm 25 years old. I was in the initial surge into Iraq.
KIM LANDERS: Bill Ferguson was a machine gunner.He's never spoken to the media about his experience and when we met at a shopping centre he was clearly nervous.
BILL FERGUSON: So I'm always alert, always looking around. You know even though there's no threat here, I still feel in my mind there is because I've been so indoctrinated in my brain to believe that there was one always.
Do you get the drift? I love this stuff. Or as The Goons would have it:
Greenslade: This is the BBC. We commence with a flourishing chorus of 'The Gallant Hussar' by Fotheringay's Singing Midgets.
Grams: Speeded up banjo and vocal followed by an explosion.
Greenslade: And here is the midget composer, Harry 'Nuts' Secombe.
Secombe: Hallo folks! Hallo folks. Now let me inform you Wallace, that no midget composer am I. Haaallo Folks! My vocation is engineering, I graduated in tunnel building.
Greenslade: How terribly, terribly.
Secombe: Yes, yes, yes, yous, yes, yus, my first big tunnel I built in 1931
Greenslade: Oh yes, I remember now, six other convicts escaped with you.
Secombe: What, what what, what, what, what, what, all lies I tell you, we were just dressed as convicts, it was carnival night. That's how we slipped away unnoticed, all lies I tell you, all lies! [Mutters off into the distance....
So I have a similar notion to write my blogosode in like manner... a similar notion. Nothing has been written yet!

But I have my drift and maybe you get it? Maybe not?

However, without so much as writing a word of fiction my "Blogisode" exists. And I've snaffled the domain name! My blogisode is labeled "blogisode".

And one week hence -- Blogisode I.

Channels