Mind Mapping as a lifestyle

I now mind map almost everything I plan -- mostly by using the Macawber PDA. I'm not insisting I'm any ways more efficient, but I can easily map out the tasks that are before me. The merging of improvisational thinking with structure and imagery works for me big time. So if I am making a list of daily tasks, I mind map them.

I guess it is a retaining exercise that transcends my earlier experiments with GTD -- Getting Things Done -- which I found rather forced and sterile.

In my case I doubt that such systems prevent me collapsing in an nihilistic heap -- But since my life is one constant round of falling off the wagon, trying to get back on, and working so hard to stay on --a true Sisyphusian thing -- these tools make it easier for me to recover and climb back onto the wagon.
In Greek mythology, Sisyphus (Greek Σίσυφος; transliteration: Sísuphos; IPA: ['sɪsɪfəs]) was a king punished in the underworld by being set to roll a huge rock up a hill throughout eternity.
And it's fun because it's 'artistic' --as artistic as you want to make it. It may look strange for a grown man -- such as I -- sitting down in a coffee shop -- me yesterday at 1pm -- working with coloured writing instruments to make obscure designs on a small-- 8" X 5" -- piece of card. All I can say in my defence is that I don't use paper napkins. My mind mapping "art" is too good for that!

But regardless of my penchant to embellish my designs so, the scribbling down and formatting of my tasks and perspectives encourages me to be more confident in carrying them out as I know where I am in space and time with each of them. Lists don't do that. My mind's eye 'sees' these maps very differently such that I can engage the processes of doing with a sort of pre-ordained effort.

I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes -- one by Leon Trotsky: " In the beginning was the Deed, the Word followed as its phonetic shadow."

That tells me heaps about the activity of planning before formulatiing the rest. Another fav of mine is also Lev Vygotsky's favorite quote from Marx:
“ A spider conducts operations that resemble those of a weaver, and a bee puts to shame many an architect in the construction of her cells. But what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is this, that the architect raises his structure in imagination before he erects it in reality. ”
— (Capital, Vol. I, Chap. 7, Pt. 1)
I tell you, folks, there is much method in my madness.

Channels