Listening to Ubuntu with Amarok

I had written in my engagement with Ubuntu that I had some key audio requirements and I wondered how they will fare. The first problem with Ubuntu is that the system throws audio players at you willy nilly so that it is hard to sift through them all.Some are simple, crude, but with a few bells and whistles and others are without this all.

The initial
problem is finding how to make them work. As always , somewhere in the web is a straightforward DIY and you can find these places just as you are set to tear your hair out .

Due to copyright issues, Mp3 capability doesn't come standard with Ubuntu so you have to install that capacity. There hangs a problem that if you don't have the "packages" already installed, you need to do so pro tem.

After playing with a few of the options on offer and checking reviews and opinions, I went with Amarok

This is a powerful audio player with all the extras you could want. It may take a bit to tweak at first, but it settles into everyday use with an air of convenience. In fact, compared to a lot of other players, Amarok will give you a lot of control over your audio files both on and off the web.

As well as being an audio player Amarok is a podcast catcher which will give you easy options about what you want to download or not. In fact, Amarok gives you a relationship with audio that transcends a lot of these desktop players so that it does a lot of what iTunes offers without having to put up with the consumerist emporium with which iTunes is packaged. Many have compared Amarok to iTunes and voted Amarok as being a far superior tool. I'm beginning to agree. While I have preferred a simple setup, all the extras offered by Amarok are very useful for controlling what you listen to, when you listen to it , and deleting audio files once you've finished with them.

Then comes a surprise! Once you get into the world of Ubuntu audio you begin to hear about the new possibilities on offer -- a major audio project:Ubuntu Studio.
Coming this April...Ubuntu Studio. A multimedia creation derivative of Ubuntu.Ubuntu Studio is aimed at the linux audio, video and graphic enthusiast as well as professional.
We are now in April aren't we? I guess I signed on just in time.

Update on Amarok: April 8th, 2007 [Easter Sunday]


Amarok after a few days of intense use is probably the best audio player I have come upon and used. I'm trying to rig it so that it will accept my podcast subscriptions as OPML (a directory of podcast or other feeds) -- but so far it has done everything I wanted it to and offered more.

You have almost total control over your media files. While I am always confused about playlists on any player -- I'm sure that once I get that how to I'll be master of my listening domain. I'm yet also to explore its syncing issues to Mp3 device capability but then I've seldom asked that of other players I have used.

This will be a first!

Channels