My three ponds and the weather

I spent yesterday bedridden. Not unusual for me. Since we were suffering a low sky and no rain, these conditions are perhaps my worst physically as my bod is a tensile weather vane. I was stiff and sore and fatigued and half dead -- and it still refused to rain.

This is a real drought. None of your mamby pamby stuff: South East Queensland is in the grip of a mean sentence of no rain. Now at Level #5 water restrictions, it is easy to fall into a conversation about water tanks. Locally all these water tank yards have sprung up , often on sites that once sold used cars. Big tanks, round tanks, odd shaped tanks, small tanks... being sold are mega litres of empty space as everyone's own water quick fix...assuming the rain comes to fill these caverns, of course.

Buying and installing isn't the whole story. It still has to rain. So in my way of thinking, the main game is reducing consumption and reducing or utilizing waste. My quest in that regard as led to a delightful irony.

I kept saving as much water as I could from my kitchen chores and bucketing it. Since I didn't have much on hand to utilise this significant resource I started creating my own herb garden in pots --and in succession a new relationship developed between me and mum Nature.

First up I had one pond already. This one below:

It was a very simply pond, designed primarily for frog use. It also functions as a Cane Toad trap as it is easy to catch the Bufo marinus in its shallow waters.

But as I developed my water saving practices I also created a herb garden in pots -- first on the veranda and then extending out to the side of the house.I found that "watering the garden" was so easy when I "saved water" in the kitchen.

It became so easy to attend to a garden if you so often practiced the role as water diviner. Otherwise there was no point to it. So these pots with their herbs and tomato plants became a very easy DIY. Now I got my chillis, lemon grass, parsley, oregano and basil just outside my kitchen workstation:



I had an old bath and while I had used it as a pot garden before to house creeping bamboo it was cumbersome in that capacity so this time I embedded a pond -- a plastic storage crate -- inside the bath and built a herb garden around it:

This is the pond that houses my Pacific Blue eyes. [They're fish -- indigenous fish that love to eat mosquitoes].Once they breed up I'll use them to colonize my other two ponds.

And here is my third pond:

It's a bit crude -- just an old plastic contained sunk in the ground and walled up with old rocks and cement bits. While it holds Creek Guppies at present, this pond will be a major feature of my Blue Eye breeding program.

So while we are in drought -- at least at maison d'ave there are some green spots fed by the spring of my own imagination, because here we work hard saving the water for recycling and get to enjoy the consequences.

Channels