- The original coroner's inquest in 2005 was aborted when sabotaged by the Qld Police Union
- A new inquest by Acting Chief Coroner (Christine Clement) found that the aboriginal man's death was caused by the actions of Hurley and that charges should be laid against him
- Her report was then sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions ( Leanne Clare) who ruled that there was not enough evidence for charges to be laid
- This decision was met with massive outrage and under great pressure and a militant street campaign, the public prosecutor --after initially refusing to allow a review to be considered -- changed her mind..
- The state government announced that there would be a review into the decision of the DPP, but not of the DPP performance.
- The retired judge (Pat Shanahan) was appointed to undertake the review but had to stand down when it was revealed that he was on the selection committee that gave the DPP her current job.
- Retired NSW judge (Sir Laurence Street)was then appointed to head the review.
- Street found that there was indeed enough evidence to prosecute and so after two years, Hurley ceased policing at his lawyers suggestion(he had never been formally relieved of his duties at any time previously) and charged with manslaughter.
- Since then the Qld Police Union has been issuing wrist bands to be worn while on duty with Hurley's police number on them as a gesture of solidarity, cop assertiveness, and to raise money for his defence. (See LeftClick post here)
powered by ODEO
Heard on the audio:Andrew Boe, Lyle Monroe, Sister Vicki, Sam Watson, Lional Fogarty, Jenny Monroe, Cathy Jackson, Nunukul Yuggera Aboriginal Dancers,Lex Wotton, etc and the voices of the powerful and confident community of Qld Murris.
Here is a video covering the campaign through 2006: