Ouch!

I am addicted to Chimichurri -- piquant salsa from Argentina, built around a base of parsley and oregano. My problem was that my recipe tweaks weren't very hot. Chimichurri contains some chili but I wanted a everyday source of the stuff as a pain killer (yes it is!) and metabolism stimulant (it's that too!).

So in today's make up I wasn't going to be light with the chili.

In a move that may prove to be foolish, I used habenero chilis(pictured).
Most habaneros will rate between 200,000 and 300,000 Scoville units. Several growers have attempted to selectively breed habanero plants to produce hotter, heavier, and larger peppers. The Red Savina pepper™ is one such cultivar of the habanero pepper that has a very high Scoville rating.
The Scoville scale is a measure of the "hotness", or more correctly, piquancy, of a chili pepper. And when we're talking habenero, we're talking hot hot hot!. Your normal capsicum is on a "0" .

So imagine, if you will, me sitting down to table. Scooping out a teaspoon or more of the stuff onto my rice or whatever -- and then partaking of my meal.

I'm sure to be distracted.

Is it worth it? Well the attributes of capsaicin ( the 'active" ingredient in chili) own a few therapeutic markers that I'm keen to explore. The irony of such an experiment with habenero is that it tastes 'nice'. As your mouth lights up, there's a subtle background orchestra doing wonders with the taste buds that have not been destroyed by the napalm rush. 'Tis like a wine tasting -- sort of anyway.

And on top of that, you have all this parsley, oregano, garlic, tomato, cumin and such kicking in. So do you wonder that I'm dead set keen to create the best of all possible chimichurris or that when I come upon an Argentinian the topic of conversation soon shifts to this topic?

So if you have a preferred
chimichurri recipe, let me know of it. Here's my baseline one.

When I started this salsa kick I had high hopes of exploring a massive world view of salsas from all over. But I seem to have settled upon a single and universal condiment approach: if I can only get my chimichurri to light up a touch.

This has also something to do with the endorphin rush too...and the pain is incidental.

It may happen that I will have to revert back to jalepeno or birds eye chilis . It may happen that I will beat a tactical retreat. But there's an eight inch jar of green mush sitting in the refrigerator that is saying "no going back -- ths is your forlorn hope".
Forlorn hope is a military term that comes from the Dutch verloren hoop, which should be translated as "lost hope". In the days of muzzle-loading muskets it was most frequently used to refer to the first wave of soldiers attacking a breach in defences during a siege. It was likely that most members of the forlorn hope would be killed or injured. The intention was that some would survive long enough to seize a foothold that could be reinforced, or at least that a second wave with better prospects could be sent in while the defenders were reloading or engaged in mopping up the remnants of the first wave.

Channels