Going organic in Little Cuba: Rain falls on vegetable garden

It's raining!

In a wonderful meteorological coincidence, after investing all this effort into creating a new vegetable garden it kindly starts to rain on Brisbane town.

This happenstance has enabled me to offer an update.



Yesterday we toured local 'garbage throw outs' -- kerbside collections of junk -- and found a great plastic compost bin which we snaffled to put to use. So now the front vegetable garden is looking very much the agricultural milieu.

En route we dropped in on the Northey Street City Farm for some supplies and came home with some exotic water plants to add to our Natural Swimming Pool project.

I'll fill you on on progress there later -- but I will mention that the reason we went junk touring was to find a plastic out door table -- which we did -- to support the water plants in the pool being planned.

But out front -- where vegetables are sprouting we hope -- the design is coming along with great promise.

I'm trying to work out what should be grown where -- outback on the deck may suit herbs and tomatoes and out front can go the rest of the vegetable kingdom.

In play, I've collected some Tamarillo seeds -- I love Tamarillo -- from an eaten fruit -- and I've set aside some choko and sweet potato for planting. I'm thinking of selectively engineering a tire supported garden like the one pictured in and around my various front garden attributes to grow tamarillo, passionfruit, choko and sweet potato.

First I need to get the tires....but I have this 'design' in my head that I think will work well. If I can handle the tires I may consider adapting some of this approach -- on Fabricating Rubber Lumber for raised bed gardening.

I like rubber...and raised beds.

The other consideration was how I was going to become compostable. We've had chooks before -- bantams -- and I'd love to get them again but we have a very small garden option and while previously we let them roam free -- today, we'd need to enclose them and that leads to problems with smell and attraction of nasty critters -- flies, rats, mice.... There's also the bird flu factor -- living in close proximity to chickens.

So I may go worm farm -- but for the moment, I'll see what use I can put to the newly acquired compost bin. (pictured to the left in the slide show's latest image). There's also a cost factor with worm farming.

"Little Cuba"

And just now when I went to publish this post I had an idea. In trying to create a heading for the post I've now got a name for my project: "Little Cuba" -- in deference to the permaculture applications being employed in that country.

That was the reason I returned to my interest in Permaculture -- it's politically kosher and the Latin thing to do!

Low energy lifestyle lessons from Cuba, an excellent documentary on living locally and sustainable living.

Large format view of video...


Channels