Pond life

I've been off in cyberspace doing stuff hither and yon these last epoch of measurable time and have thus been distracted by matters out of my control -- a federal election being oner of them.

Now as the year edges to its precipice to fall over into another maybe recap is in order here at maison d'ave.

Home projects:Pondage

The domestic pond has been a great interest for me and mine.I'll share more recent photographs at another occasion. But the cusp of my pasion has ben the relationship between Azolla and algae.

Here are two images of Azolla from the great blog,Gaia and Ecology.
Azolla (mosquito fern, duckweed fern, fairy moss, water fern) is a genus of seven species of aquatic ferns, the only genus in the family Azollaceae. They are extremely reduced in form and specialized, looking nothing like conventional ferns but more resembling duckweed or some mosses.

You could lose yourself in the properties and potentials of Azolla and duckweeds in way of agricultural utility, water purification and carbon sequestration. Wow! Exciting stuff!

Azolla has trouble surviving in my pond so I'm trying to solve the problem. The fish eat it by nibbling at the "roots" but I wonder if I have a Phosphorus issue.

The related topic is the relationship between Azolla and the pond's algae --especially as Azolla is symbiotic and blue-green alga Anabaena azollae, which fixes atmospheric nitrogen, giving the plant access to the essential nutrient. So is this a plus or minus given that there is some suggestion that Azolla will often take up its Nitrogen from the air rather than the waters on which it floats?

You tell me and we'll both know...

Another exciting feature of the pond now is that I ran a hose off one of the roof downpipes so everytime it rains the pond is topped up. I'm planning to orchestrate this exercise as one would a farm dam and use it collect and store water for general , at least, garden use. The logic is good as any body of water should have its volume displaced occasionally and in fish aquaculture that recommended figure is a massive 10% per day. Since I am not creating anywhere that level of ammonia or nitrates I think I have some leeway.

When you embark on a pondage habits there are many eddies on your way and it's easy to see that I will be addicted the topic and hobby of collecting and understanding native water plants. The range is fascinating and the first thing to learn is what's indigenous and what's not -- and among the latter especially, what's a weed!

Is Azolla? In the life aquatic there are many conundrums....

Azolla covering the Canning River
Azolla covering the Canning River

Channels